Welcome

Hello, and welcome to the next step in my post-military globe-trotting. Many of you followed my first blog (tonyrides.com) as I traveled the United States on my Motorcycle, riding over 18,000 miles and reaching 49 states and three countries.

In this next installment, my friend Jerod and I will be going abroad for an open-ended jaunt. We will start in the Middle-East at the end of February and see where the roads and the winds take us.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Early Phases

Welcome back.  Many of you last heard from as I was wrapping up my motorcycle voyage, and heading up the East Coast.  Since then I have been laying low and trying to save money for my next adventure. On February 28th, my good friend Jerod and I will board a plane for the Middle East.  Armed with some camping gear, a few extra socks, and a camera, we will see how far we get with our meager savings.

Jerod and I got together last weeks to hash out some plans and go over our personal and communal gear.  The following is a rough packing list, and is inclusive of what we will be wearing.
 Personal:
  • 3 t-shirts
  • 3 socks
  • 3 underwear
  • 1 set of longjohns
  • 1 pants
  • 1 convertible (into shorts) pants
  • 1 button-up shirt
  • 1 fleece jacket
  • 1 rain jacket
  • 1 rain pants
  • 1 pair of boots
  • 1 pair of sandals
  • 1 bowl
  • 1 cup
  • 1 spoon
  • toiletries
  • 1 Backpack
  • 1 pair of Trekking poles
  • 1 pair of Gaiters
  • 1 pair of gloves
  • 1 hat
  • 2 bandanas
  • 1 camp-towel
  • 1 sleeping pad
  • 1 sleeping bag
  • 1 sleeping bag liner (doubles as sheets for hostels)
  • 1 Camera 
  • 1 watch
  • 1 Headlamp
Group Gear
  • 1 Tent
  • 1 Stove
  • 2 fuel bottles
  • 1 first-aid kit
  • 1 pot
All in all, the planning stage has been a lot of fun.  I really enjoy researching the right gear and deciding what will be good to bring.  We received guidance from several interesting books about traveling the world on a budget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment