Welcome

Hello, and welcome to the next step in my post-military globe-trotting. Many of you followed my first blog (tonyrides.com) as I traveled the United States on my Motorcycle, riding over 18,000 miles and reaching 49 states and three countries.

In this next installment, my friend Jerod and I will be going abroad for an open-ended jaunt. We will start in the Middle-East at the end of February and see where the roads and the winds take us.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sleepless in Tel Aviv

It's the morning of 3 March and it seems that famous Goldstein jet lag has finally sunk in.  It's almost 7AM and I have been up since 3AM after going to sleep at 1AM.  Oh well.  Yesterday was nice relaxing day.  We started with some breakfast before heading over to the beach.  Beautiful weather, but not quite beach weather.  We walked the boardwalk into old seaport of Jaffa before heading back to the hostel.  We spent a while reorganizing our gear since El Al was gracious enough to get it pretty disheveled.  I then introduced Jerod to schwarma before heading back for a little siesta.  We chatted with our roommate for a bit.  He is Brazilian tattoo artist from Rio.  His grasp of English being slightly better than my Portoguese made for an interesting conversation, but was fun none-the-less.  I also had my first lost wallet scare, sending me running back to the store I had used it at last, only to return to the hostel empty-handed but to find Jerod waiting out front with my wallet which another guest had found on the floor and brought by the room.  The kindness of strangers prevails.  I then bought a caribiner and some cord to manufacture a lanyard.  I won't lose it again.

El Al has still not delivered my boots, and a quick stop at a hiking store proved that replacing them here will be far costlier than it would be almost anywhere else.  I plan on calling the claims number today to get an ETA or maybe expedite the process.  Also on the books for today is a stop at the Carmel Market and maybe a trip to Hayarkon Park and Gardens just outside the city limits.

Thanks for stopping in.  Until next time.............. 

3 comments:

  1. greetings from Santa Barbara - I do hope you get your boots back and glad you found your wallet!! Keep up the posts. Does Jerod have a blog too?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony: I just created an account so I'm in the loop moving forward. Greeting from santa Barbara. Hope you get your boots back. What's the rationale for confiscating them? Got your other e-mails and I'll follow thru..so rest easy with that stuff. When I travelled arounfd europe I would have these momentary pasport alerts where I would frisk myself ( feverishly) dreading the thought of losing my "papers". I know what that feels like.. Glad you were reconnected with your wallet. I imagine you'll meet a cast of characters along the way that will make the trip memorable. Looking forward to hearing of your encounters and adventures.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete